Thursday, February 7, 2008

Nap time

I don't know about the rest of the mothers out there, but Warner and I really struggle at nap time. In January we took him out of his crib and put him in a bed. Ever since then, nap time has become our worst part of the day. This kid needs his nap more than anything, but has no desire to stay in his bed. I take him for a ride in the car and that puts him to sleep, then I carry him upstairs to his bed and he will stay. Another thing I've been trying is I put a lock on the inside of his bedroom so he can't leave. Hopefully that isn't child abuse. Once he's asleep I go and open his door and of course have to put him in his bed because he falls asleep on the floor. Today I just didn't have the energy to lift him with this big belly in my way. After a couple of hours I decided to go and check on him to see how he was doing and this is where I found him. Plum tuckered out at the top of the stairs. I'm not sure how long he slept like that.

I'm open to any suggestions on getting a two year old to take a nap and stay in his bed. By the time I get him down for his nap I'm just completely exhausted and onry. But if he doesn't take that nap we all pay the rest of the day.


5 comments:

Shortcake and Company said...

I've been lucky to have two really good nappers so no suggestions from me--sorry. I was lucky to have Quaid taking naps up until 3 months ago (he's 5!) But, I want to see some pictures of you and your cute, big belly!

Arah Debra said...

I feel your pain. Gavin did the same thing when he was two. And I did the same things a you. I locked him in his room. It was so frustrating! I kept wondering if that was child abuse too. But I figured he'd be a worse off with out his naps. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions. Hopefully you get it figured out before that baby come. You'll need nap time for yourself by then. Good luck!

Sonja said...

Oh I'm so sorry! I think I know a little bit how your feel. Ty has never been a good napper. He's really good at night, but during the day it can be a challenge. Although we go through phases...for a month or two he'll do great and take naps on cue, but then for a few weeks he fights it with all he's got. I just don't give up and then he eventually goes back to being good again.

I did go to some websites that I liked and got some ideas for how to create a positive sleep environment so that going to sleep is a positive experience...I think it was Dr. Sears. But in the end I find that you can take the advice all you want and try it out and sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't.

You're a great momma and I hope he figures out soon that naps are AWESOME and he'll miss not having them one day :) I do.

Ashlee said...

I have absolutely no clue how to help you. Jace stopped taking naps before he was 2, but he actually didn't need them after that- I DID! Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with putting a lock on the outside of the door. I've considered doing that to Jace- not for naps but because he's just bad and I'm running out of creative punishments that fit the crime- ya know?

Susie said...

Hey Charlyn! I'm glad you found my blog, but you are right, I suck at blogging. Maybe some day I will get into it. Warner is so cute, I knew his name but didn't put it together for some reason, duh! I wish I had a cool maiden name! My oldest was done napping at 18 months (crappy!) It's hard to convert to the bed, I know other people who lock the door though, I think you're OK! I have to lay by my 3 year old when he needs a nap about once a week. Anyway, nice to hear from you, keep in touch!