Sunday, February 24, 2008

Steadfast and Immovable

I have the opportunity to serve in the Stake Young Women program. We get to go around to each ward for their ward conferences. In young women and young men as a stake we teach the lesson. This year our theme is on agency. My heart has just been so full and grateful for all my blessings and this wonderful opportunity to serve our youth. It's funny how we are there to teach them, but in return I receive the greatest lesson of all.

The youth down here are so amazing. I sit back and watch everything that they do. Most of them are involved in sports, cheer leading, dance, student body, band, and ect. If they are involved in one thing they are most likely to be involved in several others. Growing up in a small town they need these kids to do it all, so they have a full teams. So just school takes up a lot of their time.

They don't stop at just that though. They are always willing to serve in the church when needed. Today one of the young women gave a talk that was just amazing on how she tries to make good choices. It made me reflect back in time when I was in high school. I may have not always made perfect choices, but am so grateful for the good friends and good choices I did make. It seems like now high school is irrelevant to who I am, but in reality it really is who I am. Because of the good friends who helped me make good choices I am where I am today. I made mistakes after high school, but always knew where my roots were. I attribute that to my good high school friends. We try to stay in touch, but unfortunately not as much as we would like. I know I am going on and on, but like I said my heart is full of gratitude for wonderful influences in my life. The theme this year for both young men and young women is Be Steadfast and Immovable, always abounding in Good Works. Mosiah 5:15 We have so many steadfast youth down here in Salina that set wonderful examples for all of us.

4 comments:

Sweet As Candi said...

I really appreciated your comments about the youth. I also work in the Young Women program and amazed at the youth of this day. I can totally relate to being the teacher but ending up the student. Yesterday I had the chance to go to Music and the Spoken Word with the Laurals, which was all their idea and it was amazing. Not only was the music awsome but Pre. Monson was there with his wife. I am grateful for the oppertunities I have to learn from these awsome Young Women.

Ashlee said...

I loved that post! I find myself worrying about the "next generation" because of all the wild, half-naked, disrespectful youth that I see at the mall, grocery store, etc. I think it's to the point now where the strong kids are really strong and the weak are very weak. I'm glad to hear that your youth are out there, setting an example and being involved so those who are lost can have something or someone to look to. I'd hate to be going through the struggles and choices that our youth are faced with today. We had it pretty good!

Laraine H. said...

I must say it's good to reflect on the positive. There are so many negative behaviors we always notice and don't always give credit to how great some young people really are. I haven't worked with the youth in our ward, but there are some I would love for my children to claim as role models. And ditto.... we really did have a great group in high school....so many funny "good" times.

Sonja said...

Ok I honestly can't imagine a better person to serve in Young Womens than you. Those girls must just LOVE you! Not only are you spiritual and fun, you just have such a fresh outlook on life and your individual experiences have given you wisdom that needs to be shared. What a blessing you are to them and will continue to be for the rest of their lives. And I can imagine the influence they also have on you. Thanks for sharing this, I just loved reading it!