Tuesday, July 22, 2008

One amazing experience!

This last week Ryan and I were privileged to go on our Stakes Pioneer Trek. It was SO amazing. I never want to forget this experience that we had. I'm in the Stake Young Women so we were part of the planning along with our Young Men. I begged that Ryan and I could go as a Ma and Pa, and I got my way. We made new friendships with our little family that we will never forget!

This is our family from the trek. From the left over we have "little brother Reed", then Hayden, James, Ryan, Myself, Shelbie, Katie and Bree'L. We just loved each and everyone of these kids. They all brought a unique feeling to our family.
Ryan and I trekking along. We went 18 miles total in 2 and 1/2 days. And I know pioneers did not wear sunglasses!

Each night we did a little dancing. We learned Oh Johnny O'. The kids just loved it!

Every night we would set up camp. Everyone was preparing for rain by building these fancy shelters. We laid one tarp on the ground and Ryan and I went in the middle. Then the girls were next to me and the boys next to Ryan. Then we just placed another tarp on top of us. Our kids didn't seem to mind the little set up we had. We would get extra sleep because we had little clean up. You can see some of the fancy shelters that were being built!

This is when the Mormon Battalion came and took all the men off to war. The women stayed behind and we pushed the hand carts up the hills. It was hard to do, but made me realize how faithful the pioneer women must have been.

The same day we hiked up this humongous hill. At one point I wondered if people were going to start having heart attacks, but we all made it. This is Ryan's dad "Uncle Steve" he couldn't even wait till his camp was set up. He was tuckered right out!

Our last night there we were to tired to dance with everyone. I was so surprised at the energy the kids still had in them. They danced themselves silly!

On one of our stops the last day we played a game. We had nylons full of flour that we just sat and threw at each other. It was pretty funny looking at all the people that got peppered with flour!
This is our daughter Katie on the last morning devotional. We did a Sacred Grove experience. The view was just amazing. It was such a peaceful morning.
We loved everything about the trek. If you ever get the chance to go on one I would jump on board. I gained a greater appreciation for the pioneers for all that they must have gone through. We didn't even come close to what they experienced, but I definitely had my eyes opened.








8 comments:

Randi said...

You are the WO-man for surviving a trek! I'd never make it.Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Shortcake and Company said...

Our Stake just did the Martin's Cove trek, and everybody really enjoyed themselves too. The idea with the flour game sounds fun. I'm proud of you for being excited to go.

Unknown said...

Church activities are getting way better. When I was 17 we got together and made kites out of paper bags. The guys just ended up playing basketball. Looks like you had a lot of fun

Ines said...

This looks like such a neat experience. I love it that our church does so many great things for our youth. I'm not sure I'd volunteer, though. You're one tough chick!

Katie said...

I cannot believe that you trekked that far!! The youth are so much fun though!

Ashlee said...

You're so awesome! I think that rather than volunteer for such a thing, I'd find reasons not to go if asked! Our youth and the " ma's and pa's" also had an amazing experience. Maybe someday I'll give it a try.

Laraine H. said...

Good job Charlyn! How great of you to sacrifice that time for the youth, how did you get away with an infant? Looks like you had a great time:)

Sonja said...

Wow this sounds amazing! I've never been on one of these but hope I get to someday! YOU are amazing!