Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Email from Aunt Sylvia

This is the email I received from my mom's sister Sylvia. I want my kids to know my mom as much as possible. I think this will help them.

Dear Steven, Kristie, Charlyn, and Jeannie,

I couldn't let today pass by without telling you how proud we are of your family. It has been five years today since Lorraine left, and there hasn't been a day since that I haven't thought of her. I know that would be multiplied a hundred times by all of you. We miss her so much, but we know how happy she is and that she is still nearby. In fact, I heard a story about a young mother whose child was really struggling at the time the mother died. Her husband was told by a priesthood leader that maybe the mother could do more for her child on the other side of the veil than here on earth. I'm not sure how that happens, but I know they know what is going on in our lives and are very much a part of it. When Sarah asked Dad if he would be her guardian angel when he died, he sad he didn't know if they would let him, but he would try. I'm sure he has been, as well as many others.

As I thought back on this day five years ago, I cried thinking of the pain we all felt. It was hard, not only then, but they many years of suffering she went through before that. To think of her now gives me great peace and joy. I also remember her saying she was thankful for her illness, which brought her to the most important things of life-the opportunity to go to the temple with you and be sealed as a family. What a blessing! It is a validation that we are perfected through our trials, and they are all for a reason. Heavenly Father knows us, loves us, and has sent the Holy Ghost to give us comfort and direction. Without that, what would we have? We talked to a man a couple of weeks ago who delivered a file cabinet to our flat. He said he is Greek Orthodox, but isn't sure if the Bible is true, or that there was really a resurrected Christ. I asked him what he thinks happens to us after we die. he said he wasn't sure, maybe we'll be recycled as another person. i told him we will all be resurrected and will come back as ourselves, whole and perfect. We can be with our families and those we love. Paul gave hims two Books of Mormon, on in English and one in Greek. Probably nothing will come of it, but we're planting seeds here. How grateful we are to know of the plan of salvation and our purpose in this life! It isn't just a random experience, but part of a beautiful plan we knew about before we came here.

Please pass this on to Anajean since I don't have an email address for her. If she has one, maybe someone could send it to us. How is she doing these days? We haven't heard anything, and hope all is well with her and the baby. We're doing fine here, and are busier than we thought possible, especially Paul. I just try to do what I can to help. Thank goodness for FB where we can get little updates from the family! We love all of you so much, and pray for you every day (multiple times, in fact). We'll keep in touch.

Love,
Sylvia and Paul

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh how we miss our Aunt Lorraine. I love you xoxo