Thursday, September 4, 2008

The hooded towel


Lately I have been thinking about my mom and all the things that she would love about my children if she were still here. Sometimes I feel cheated that my kids will never get to know her, at least the time they have here on earth. Whenever I had a friend that was having a baby my mom would make me a hooded towel to give them. Most of my friends have gotten them. I was lucky enough that she had made a extra one so when I had Warner there was one just for him. When I found out I was having a girl and didn't have a towel for her I was so sad. Some may think that is silly, but if you knew my mom she LOVED making these towels and put a lot of love into them. I've seen them made before, but of course just not how my mom made them. Anyway.....when I had Abbi one of my friends sent me the greatest gift. The towel that my mom made her little girl over 6 years ago. It's a little haggard and used, but it was made with love! We use it almost every day and I love it. Abbi doesn't say much, but I think she knows the love that is wrapped around her every morning!

13 comments:

Randi said...

Oh, that is so sweet.

Shortcake and Company said...

We still use the towel you gave Quaid nearly six years ago. I didn't know your Mom made it--I thought you did. Oh...I love the towel even more. I loved what you wrote about Abbi being wrapped in love. She sure is!

Bonnie said...

I know that you mom just loves her grand kids! How thoughtful of your friend to send you that towel! Abbi is such a cutie!

Sara said...

what a sweet friend. I remember you mom making those cute towels. I still had the one you gave Brighton when he was born. It's the cutiest towel I own.

mel said...

I still have the towel your mom made for Lauren eight years ago. My kids still use it. I'm sorry you mom isn't here to see her grandkids, but it's great they have things that she has made. I have fond memories of your mom from so many years ago. She was a neat lady.

marci said...

This post made me cry! I think it is so neat that your friend sent her towel to you- I'm glad Abbi has something from her grandma!

Ashlee said...

What a thoughtful friend- I didn't even think of that and I, too, still have the towel she made for Jace. I think of her everytime I use it and again when I fold it (Bry uses it now). I don't blame you for feeling a bit cheated- I would, too. Wrapped in love is definitely what she is!

Arah Debra said...

That's so sweet! What a thoughtful friend!! Abbi is such a beauty.

Sonja said...

What a great story Charlyn and an even greater friend! Loved reading this!

Ines said...

Loved this post. Of course it made me cry. I'm so glad your friend was so thoughtful. I'm sure your mom is watching over all of you.

Laraine H. said...

The towels were the best and Im so glad were able to get one of your mom's! Such a sweet thing. I used mine til it was rags.
BTW I think you will have to change your URL link to our blog...I changed the address
sixofusinall.blogspot.com

Katie said...

I remember your mom always giving those to everyone. Maybe you will have to pick up the tradition...?!

natjwalker said...

Char so sweet I am so glad you can grab onto those special things that keep us tied to our Mom's even though they are gone. I have a quilt of my mom's and I know it sounds silly but it has her smell..therefore I never use it, never wash it...The only time I pull it out is when I am thinking of her. The smell. I love ya Char! Abbi is a doll and Mom is proud very very proud of you :)